Monday, May 04, 2009

MDo May Update

I can't believe it's May already. April flew by, with almost no progress made.

But, fear not! I did work on Mohawk a little. I've fixed the problem with Riven videos. It turns their offsets were based on the entire Mohawk archive and not the video itself. Wasted about 2 hours trying to figure that one out. In addition to some other minor cleanup, I implemented playing of the tMID resource which is just a simple SMF MIDI file with some extra data. In this case it has a Mohawk Header (MHWK+MIDI), then the standard MThd chunk. Beyond that is the unknown Prg# chunk and the standard MTrk chunk. It sounds pretty good when played. :) The tMID resource isn't used in Myst/Riven, however.

If you didn't get the joke in the title, it was recently confirmed that the "real" name of the Gob engine is MDo. Hopefully no one will hurt me for this joke. :P

And hopefully for next month (which is probably when I'll write the next post) I'll have some more exciting news. Like full Riven support or something. Not likely. :P Hopefully some new games, though. And maybe more videos :D

1 comment:

Strangerke said...

Hey clone2727, I received yesterday a mail from one of the 3 main developers from Coktel. MDO stands for the initials of those 3 guys, and is not the real engine name. It was more like the name of the team.

The real engine name is DEV.

Sorry for having spread a wrong info ;) But as I told, as it came directly from Mrs Tramis I thought it was a good one...